Sunday, August 9, 2009

Snickerdoodle...Cupcakes [sms]

Photobucket
This week's SMS is hosted by Spike of Spike Bakes. This yummy snickerdoodle recipe was a favorite among my friends. They had all liked the cinnamon-y goodness that exists in this snickerdoodle.

I had made some changes to the recipe itself. I added one more teaspoon of cinnamon, added 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract [I used imitation since I'm a college student and that's basically all I had on hand.] I bake these for 11 minutes instead of the 12 suggested in the book. I also sprinkled some extra cinnamon sugar on top of the cookies.

Photobucket

Being me, I could not just stop at just making these cookies regular cookies. I decided for the 24-hour service-a-thon to make some cupcakes to go along with it. It's just a regular cinnamon cupcake with a honey-cinnamon frosting. On top, I garnished with part of the cookie.

Photobucket

Recipe for the cupcake:
[taken from here]
Ingredients:
1 cup
all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup whole milk [instead I used 1/2 cup of soy milk]
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temp.
2 large eggs
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar [I had subbed one tbsp of sugar for cinnamon sugar]
1 tsp. grated orange zest [I omitted this]
1/2 tsp vanilla extract [I added 1 tsp of imitation vanilla]
Instructions:
Preheat oven at 350. Line your cupcake pan with paper liners.
Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl.
Stir milk and butter over low heat until butter melts.
Add in sugar and eggs. Mix.
Beat in vanilla.
Add in the flour mixture; beat until just blended.
Divide among the cupcake pan. [I just used 2 tbsp per cupcake]
Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, mine took about 12 minutes.
Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and transfer onto a cooling rack to cool completely.

Recipe for the honey-cinnamon frosting:
[taken from here]
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar [I used approx 1 1/2 cups]
1 tablespoon honey [I ended up putting 2 tablespoons in]
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon [I added 1/2 teaspoon instead, I like my cinnamon]
[I also added 1 teaspoon of vanilla]

Directions:
Beat all the ingredients until smooth, 4-5 minutes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Recipe for the snickerdoodles here! Make sure to check out the rest of the SMS bakers on the blogroll!

Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. Those cupcakes look SOOOOOOOOOOOO good! Great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies look awesome and what a fantastic idea to also make cupcakes! I will definitely have to give those a shot sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can never have enough cinnamon, great cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a nice blog. I just discovered you . Your cupcakes are awesome and these with cinnamon must be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cookies and cupcakes! Looks great. Thanks for baking with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to do cupcakes and cookies. Both look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE that you baked up the cupcakes to pair with the cookies!! :) :) looks amazing! I too also added more cinnamon...mmmmm!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great minds think alike! Your cupcakes & cookies are gorgeous. My cupcakes were a simple vanilla cupcake with the addition of cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM!!! I just drooled on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't say that I've ever had a snickeroodle cupcake, but they look delicious, so I'll have to try them out! Great looking cookies, too. These were really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Extra cinnamon is always a good idea, great call. Those cupcakes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those cupcakes look delightful!

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nina!

    What a creative way to incorporate the cookies into a cupcake- they look absolutely delicious! I'm sure they were a hit at the service-a-thon.

    Thanks so much for your interest in Operation Baking GALS. Here's the link to our site, so you can take a look around and see what you think: http://www.bakinggals.com/ If you scroll down a bit you'll see an article I wrote about my special team that bakes for the hospitalized soldiers, Team Oven Loving for the Recovery. We just finished up round 11, but round 12 baking is just around the corner (beginning of next month) and I'd love to have you bake with us. If you think you might be available, just send me an email (joy.d.saunders@gmail.com) and I'll walk you through the whole process! And if you can't do round 12 but might like to participate in the future, I can send you a list of upcoming dates when we'll be shipping so you can mark your calendar and plan ahead.

    Hope to talk to you again soon!

    -Joy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job! These look fantastic!

    I just discovered your blog, and am LOVING it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cookies look great! So does the cupcake. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Nina! Both the cookies and the cupcakes look delish - beautiful job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohh mannn, those cupcakes sound scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My sweet Nina. Your letter brought tears to my eyes and a gulp in my throat. Thank you ever so much for sharing your heart with me. I agree with you on everything you said. I can only try my best to help her through this and I know she will get by. I really like your idea of giving more to others and really showing an interest. SHe is such a talented young lady. SHe is in soccer, track and choir and is a wonderful artist. Im thankful she has these great gifts. I had a hard time as a teen girl too and I think this situation brings up my emotions too. SO Im trying to deal with her feelings and mine and boy is it draining! I will have to bake more cus it is a great stress reliver!
    Well you really seem like a great girl with a good head on your shoulders. I tend to agree with your point of view it's them othes who are missing out on someone so beautiful inside and out. Keep on what your doing, your going to go far in life!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look wonderful Nina! How do you manage to bake so much in college! I remember my roommate in college trying to bake banana bread in the toaster oven. Needless to say, it didn't turn out so well! Ha- that's a vision I'll never forget!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
<3 Nina

Related Posts with Thumbnails