Monday, August 24, 2009

Grapefruit Bars

Photobucket
So my mother decided to have me bring lots of grapefruit back up to Berkeley. Why - I have no idea. I think she just likes feeding me because she thinks that i get no food here...which is partially true because I'm too lazy to cook and buy food and because I have no time.

With an excess of apples and grapefruits, I got started. I know that I didnt have many apple recipes left - so if you have any good ones suggest them! Other than that, I needed to get rid of these grapefruits. I cannot eat them all.

Photobucket

I looked on my list and I had a grapefruit squares recipe that I had wanted to try. These seemed perfect for this little kickback that I was invited to last minute.

Recipe:
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour + 1/4 cup for filling
1/4 cup white sugar + 1 1/3 cup for filling [I couldn't find my 1/3c so I just used 1 1/2c of white sugar]
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt + 1/2 teaspoon for filling
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
4 eggs
Zest 2 grapefruits
Zest of 2 lemons
Juice of 1 grapefruit
Juice of 1 lemon
powdered sugar (for dusting)
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
Slowly add in the flour and salt mixture until combined.
Press this mixture into a greased and/or lined 9×13 pan.
Bake the crust for 15-20 minutes or until just turning golden on the edges.
While the crust bakes, combine the grapefruit and lemon zest and 1 1/3 cups of white sugar [like I said above, I used 1 1/2 c] in a medium sized bowl and rub them together until the zest is incorporated into the sugar.
Whisk or beat in the eggs and add the juices.
Add 1/4 cup of flour and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and whisk them in, too.
Pour the lemon filling over the hot crust and bake for 20-25 minutes [I think mine took about 30 mins or so] or until the top is set and doesn’t wiggle.
Remove the bars from the oven and allow to cool COMPLETELY before sprinkling with powdered sugar and cutting.

Photobucket

I thought these had a nice sense of tartness and it was really good. I think that everyone had really enjoyed it as well.

Photobucket

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. these sound intriguing. i bet i could make these for my grapefruit lovin' mom. :) thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! these look really delicious! I bet they're kind tart too!
    Thanks for sharing :)
    Happy baking,
    Mini Baker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bars look great. How creative to use grapefruit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look yummy, I love sweet and tart treats! Does your mom know that you're turning the healthy fruit she gave you into baked goods?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
<3 Nina

Related Posts with Thumbnails