Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dobos Torte [db]

Photobucket
The August 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonful of Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular Dobos Torte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers' cookbook KaffeeTahaus: Exquisite desserts from the Classic Caffes of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.

This Dobos Torte was quite easy, and hard to make. It was quite easy in its steps, but once I had gotten to getting everything together, it just didn't go as well as I hoped that it would have.

Photobucket

I had created mini tortes, but they just were not very well since I had forgotten to level each of the layers. Also, my buttercream was not THAT set when I had decided I needed to start putting the tortes together. My eggwhite mixture probably should have been mixed some more, but I was just too tired to care anymore. This definitely was something that I should have created on different days, just to give me time to do each part and each part well. Putting it all together in one day was just not a good idea. I had to use toothpicks to keep it all together without melting or having the tortes fall on me.

After freezing it, it did taste really good. I really enjoyed the taste of the torte and I had enjoyed making it. Next time, if I decide ever to make it again, I would make the parts separately and also have some way of keeping the torte's level and together. I think that was my major probably with this torte. The chocolate buttercream was amazing! I had to leave the hazelnuts out because I was going to have my roommates eat them and since three of the five other girls that I live with just moved in, I don't know their likes and dislikes. I would rather not feed them something they may be allergic to.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. i know how it feels when you have to bake something and it seems to draaaaaaag out and all you wanna do is be done with it already!!

    but i bet your torte was tasty either way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still, a great job and you finished it! It did have a few parts to it, but all in all not too difficult. I like you mini version.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
<3 Nina

Related Posts with Thumbnails