Sunday, August 23, 2009

Mom's Banana Apple Bread and Muffins [sms]

Photobucket

This week's SMS, Mom's Banana Apple Bread, was chosen by Joy of Hot Oven, Warm Heart. This fruit-filled bread was really easy to make and I really enjoyed making it. I had made a dozen muffins and used the rest of the batter for the bread since I ran out of cupcake liners.

Photobucket

I actually made this last week because I was still up in Berkeley and it's just so much easier to bake up there. Back at home in Brea, I have make things that are less sweet and things that are easy to make since I do not have too many supplies at hand.

Photobucket

I had actually made lots of substitutes in this recipe. With the apples, I had used golden brown sugar instead. I also only have fugi apples so I just cut one up since they are so big. I also added more cinnamon and vanilla extract. I just like the smell and taste of cinnamon and vanilla.

Photobucket

For the bread/muffins itself, I subbed 1/8 c of the sugar with cinnamon sugar. I also added more cinnamon and vanilla extract. See a pattern here? I took out the ground cloves since I didnt have any hand, but I added 1/4 teaspoon more of nutmeg. I also added some hazelnuts left over from the hazelnut truffles, 1/2 c of milk chocolate chips, and 1/2 c of semi sweet chocolate chips.

Photobucket

These tasted actually very good. I had a muffin before I left, and I froze the rest for a nice and healthy breakfast for those crazy days that are about to start when school starts. I brought the bread home and everyone really enjoyed it. It was nice and healthy, and not too sweet - unlike most things I bake.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Recipe for the bread here! Make sure to check out the rest of the SMS bakers on the blogroll!

Photobucket

22 comments:

  1. All of your substitutions sound tasty. You really can't go wrong with chocolate chips!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with Lulu... the chocolate chips sound like a very yummy substitution!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your substitions sound delicious. I will definitely be adding nuts the next time I bake this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you this bread is good and healthy, nice quick breakfast too! Your looks very good and adding some chocolate chips was a splendid idea! I hope school goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pictures and I love all your subs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Chocolate chips make everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures Nina! I made muffins too - mainly because they bake so much faster :) I like your idea to add chocolate chips to the recipe. I almost added some but didn't do it this time. Next time for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hazelnuts, chocolate chips --- wow!! Everything looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Nina. Thanks for your welcome and comment. Your blog is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nina!

    Thanks so much for baking along with me this week! I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed the recipe! I love your idea for substitutions- especially the addition of chocolate chips... I never would have thought to add those to this particular banana bread, but now that I think about it, it sounds absolutely delicious! Your muffins came out fantastic- nice and moist. Great job!

    Just wanted to make sure- did you get my last email answering your Baking GALS questions? Let me know if there's anything else you're curious about! Can't wait for you to bake with us next round :)

    I hope you’re doing well- have a wonderful start to your week! Hope to hear from you soon!

    <3,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious! Glad these were such a hit for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmm can't go wrong with a hint of chocolate in this bread. i'll def add that in next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the substitutions, they both look sooo yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love chocolate and bananas! I like the idea of adding raisins as well- apples and raisins always seem to go well together. Love you pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fun ideas! I love how you made this recipe into muffins too. I just graduated college and have only been out for 5 weeks so I can totally relate with how crazy college life can be. Baking is a nice stress reliever, especially when you can share =).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks wonderful! Chocolate and banana are great together, yum. Don't you love having frozen baked goods to look forward to? Such a nice treat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy changes to the recipe! Your muffins look so good, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the addition of chocolate chips. I think muffins were the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks delicious - love the addition of chocolate chips!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your muffins look delicious. I like the choc-banana combo. I thought it was funny that we both increased the cinnamon amount :o)

    Thanks for the Fair wishes. I'll try to post something on my blog once I find out how I did.

    ReplyDelete
  21. haha, that's a lot of subs! I love the idea of nuts and chocolate, bet it was great!!

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
<3 Nina

Related Posts with Thumbnails