Saturday, August 15, 2009

Chocolate Salted-Caramel Cupcakes [msc]

Photobucket
For those of you following my blog, this is my THIRD group that I've joined. I feel like these are the only three I will join until I decide to quit one of them. Both Daring Bakers and MSC are monthly which means I get a whole month to bake items and SMS is weekly meaning that is a bit more restricting time-wise. I am super excited though because it's Martha Stewart AND cupcakes.

This month's choice was chosen by the founder, Betty from EAT MY CUPCAKE. She chose this wonderful Chocolate salted-caramel cupcake. Martha has them as mini cupcakes, but I have no mini cupcake tin or liners so regular cupcakes they are! I decided to make these for the 24-hour service-a-thon as well. My friends are just so spoiled by my various baking things that I happen to make...ALL THE TIME.

I was deciding to half the recipes, but at 12am, I didnt want to go and half everything and I was way to tired to think so I decided to make the full recipe for the cupcakes.

I ended up using kosher salt because I dont even know where to start looking for other things like that.

In the morning, I had made the caramel recipe which was really hard and confusing by the way, but it eventually got finished, and half of the frosting. The original frosting recipe yielded 5 cups and that was WAY TOO MUCH. Half was good. I still ended up with a little bit extra frosting.
Photobucket

They were super yummy and moist. The saltiness factor was an amazing surprise for many so it was nice. I think lots of my friends enjoyed the richness of the cupcake and the nice surprise of caramel in the middle.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The recipe for this month's Cupcake Club is found on pages 148-149 of Martha Stewart's Cupcake book.

Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. That frosting looks fantastic - rich and creamy like it should! I made mini's - but they were almost TOO small! It's a good idea to make at least a few that are regular size, I think! Nicely done for the first recipe -I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Augh, I joined this group but I totally forgot to make the cakes! I'll have to post late :S

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cupcakes look lovely! Well done. I havne't mastered piping the icing yet, but I'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great. I can't imagine trying to half a recipe at 12 a.m. I made the full frosting recipe and now have a tub of it in the freezer. Good call on halving it. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look awesome, especially the caramel surprise in the middle! I'm sure your friends were happy you made a whole recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your friends are very luck you spoil them with dee-lish cupcakes! They're going to love the Martha Stewart Cupcake Club! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice little cupcakes you have there....all that dark chocolate and that swirly icing! Okay, I don't like chocolate as you will probably find out...but my family LOVES it...they would have these gone in no time! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. fabulous job!! This was a pretty complicated recipe but fun to make regardless. I halved the recipe and made big ones, I got 10. Whew..that is a lot of richness to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking cupcakes! i cant believe you started at midnight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job with your cupcakes Nina! They look awesome. I can't believe you didn't start until midnight - I always end up screwing up the recipe when I bake that late :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @k.a.r.e.n and Tracey
    Well, I kind of don't sleep until 2 so it's a decent time for me. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Midnight baking, haven't done that in a long time. Your cupcakes look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! They look great and that caramel would definitely be a delicious surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, those big cupcakes are delicious looking! It's the little ones that are sneaky, making you think there's not much to them, until you consume half a dozen in blissful ignorance. Can't believe you're able to do this as a college student w/ all the demands- Wow! I bet your friends love having a good cook around!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kosher salt, sea salt, whatever works right?

    Your cupcakes look perfectly chocolately and moist . . nice combo!

    And yes, the salt added a great dimension to the taste buds!

    Your friends are spoiled! ;)

    Thanks so much for baking along with me this month! I can't wait to see what other cupcake ideas you have up your sleeve!

    Happy Baking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look delicious! I baked these really late at night as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
<3 Nina

Related Posts with Thumbnails