Saturday, March 14, 2009

Happy Pi(e) Day!

Yes, I know it is just Pi day, but I felt like I needed to bake some so I made Apple Pie Cupcakes!
So I had found this WONDERFUL recipe online, but I absolutely have no knife skills. I am horrible at slicing and dicing and all that good stuff so I decided to do it my own way. Well, yeah. I thought they came out decent, but not the best I could have done...

Apple Pie Cupcakes
Apple Filling/Topping first!
Ingredients:
6 tbsp unsalted butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
(I do end up with a little sauce and apples left, so I used them to decorate the tops and dipped the sauce in the cupcake)

Directions:
Place butter and sugar in a large fry pan over low-medium heat.
Stir to dissolve sugar.
Add the diced apple and cuntil apples are caramelized/taste kinda sweet and soft.
Remove apples from pan and let cool completely.

Then the cupcakes!
Ingredients:
2 1/4 all purpose flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
9 ounces (2 sticks plus 2 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened at room temp
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup (8 fluid ounces) whole milk (I used soymilk)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325F.
Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
Set aside dry ingredients.

In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides if the bowl occasionally. Beat in the vanilla.
On low speed, add the flour mixture and mix until flour is barely incorporated. Add the milk and mix until just smooth.
Divide the batter among lined muffin wells, filling each well about 1/2 full (2 tablespoons full). Top with the apples.
Bake at 325F until a cake tested comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool cupcakes on cooling racks. Make sure cupcakes are completely cooled before frosting.

Then last but not least! The frosting!
Ingredients:
12 ounces (3 sticks / 340g) unsalted butter, softened at room temp
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Directions:
In the bowl, beat the butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Add the confectioner's sugar and cinnamon and beat for another 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
Frost the cupcakes with an icing spatula or piping bag.

First some pi cupcakes!

Onto regularly decorated ones...

ALL were enjoyed by Circle K members at Andrea's Scrapbook Work Party!

Well, thats going to be the last of my baking...until maybe Tuesday. St. Patrick's day always needs something special. ;)

<3

recipe found here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!
<3 Nina

Related Posts with Thumbnails