Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Speculaas [Club Baked]

Photobucket


You know when the writers wrote that they loved the Delta cookies, I remembered how much I enjoyed those cookies on my trip to New York almost 2 years ago. My dad had free flights so my brother and I were able to go to New York City for the first time. I had such a great time with my brother - how weird right?

Anyways, these cookies brought me back to my flight. That 5 hour cross country flight was not the most fun flight, but you know what? The cookies were the best part of it. I'm so glad that I was able to learn how to make these.

Photobucket


As I eat these cookies, I remember all the great time I had in New York - watching my first Broadway show...on Broadway. The top of the Empire State Building and Rockerfeller Center. Brooklyn. Central Park. Wall Street. Ground Zero. My goal is to be there once for New Years Eve and stay in a hotel room facing Times Square, where I stayed last time with my dad and brother, and watch the ball drop from my room and be able to celebrate with my friends in the room. That way, I can be there, but also be warm and be able to use the bathroom. I MUST GO BACK SOON.

The flavors are great. I can taste all the spices and they go great with my morning drink from Starbucks (Soy Earl Gray Latte). I can just munch on these cookies all day. Love! I made mine in very little batches because I know if I make big batches I end up giving most of them to my boyfriend and as much as I love him, I love these cookies for myself. I've been baking about a sheet or two. I have about 1/4 of the dough left. I'll be able to eat these cookies for next couple of days.

Photobucket


Check out the recipe here and other bakers here.
Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Hi Nina, your post reminds me time I spent in NYC, it's so a lovely and beautiful city.
    I think it spreads something magic.
    I like your Speculaas cookies, they came from Belgium where I spend few days last week; every bakery shop there has somethig referring to them.
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cookies came out great Nina! I also loved reading about your reminiscing about your NYC trip. I am from NY and it is a one-of-a-kind place. It would be so great to be there in a nice comfy hotel room to watch the ball drop. I went once and it was cold out there! I also agree that these were perfect with some tea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Without the sugar on top, yours look much more like the Biscoff cookies. I'm glad these brought back good memories for you. I have also always wanted to be in Times Square for New Year's at least once! :) I will have to try your tea at Starbucks - it sounds like a great combination with this cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing how food brings so many memories to mind. I daydream while I bake...it is a lovely stressless time for me and a wonderful time to let the foods take me away in my thoughts. I like your idea about baking them as you want them...I usually have some type of cookie dough in my fridge...always better fresh out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL- keeping them for yourself (not your boyfriend). Too funny Nina! Your cookies really came out great. Mine did not -well- not pretty anyway, flavor is great though...love the crunch. Agree that they are perfect with tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea to bake them as you need them. Always a fresh cookie!

    Love your story about NYC. I've always wanted to do the New Year's Eve thing too. The hotel room is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. New York is such a great city. So many interesting and fun things to do. Glad to hear these cookies were a success. I didn't have as much luck. Great idea to bake them up fresh. I don't blame you for not sharing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree - these are addictive. I gave half of them to my brother & niece, but I do love the flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cookies look great! What fun memories they brought up :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
<3 Nina

Related Posts with Thumbnails