Sunday, March 21, 2010

Double-Crusted Caramel Pear Pie [sms]

Photobucket

This week's Sweet Melissa Sundays pick, Double-Crusted Caramel Apple Pie, was chosen by Susan of Baking with Susan.

I decided to use pears instead because somehow I still had a whole bunch in the fridge so I thought I would make use of it. But since I didn't have enough pears, I decided to add one apple in there. I also used two premade pie crusts. I knew that I would have no time between making last week's SMS and the MSC and this week's SMS. It just made sense to me.

Photobucket

I made these for an interfamily social at a friend's house on Pi Day. I just made sense to me that I would make a pie for Pi day! At the social, I finally had my first taste of poutine which is like a Canadian version of cheese fries with gravy and cheese on top of French fries. That and mole. I love my friends and the food we always end up having. We just ended up eating most of the night. FUN STUFF!

Sorry for no picture of the pie cut open. I forgot my camera and forgot to make someone take it for me! So it's not the most beautiful pie on the outside, but it was delicious.

Make sure to check out the rest of the SMS bakers on the blogroll.

Photobucket

PS. my spring break started 3 days ago, so I'll be baking lots this week to celebrate the end of the Circle K year and also a break from school! I'm looking for a good, easy cookie recipe. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to leave them in the comments section!

16 comments:

  1. We are on our spring break right now..love it!
    Im glad everyone enjoyed your pie on Pi day! It looks very good, and I love how golden brown and crispy the top looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think pears and caramel would be fabulous together. Thanks for baking along with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nina,

    Awesome add of pears! Like how you always use what you've got on hand. Eating and having a good time with friends...isn't it the best? Pies aren't the easiest to photograph to look yummy but they are INDEED yummy. I KNOW your pie tasted good. ;)

    Well, you asked for a cookie recipe that was simple. I don't know if you'll find the recipe I'm going to share with you simple, but you can make that call.

    The cookie is: Thumbprint Lemon-Lime Meltaway Cookies.

    see my blog for recipe: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakingismyzen/3873588640/in/set-72157619036207885/

    Good luck with your baking!

    Have a great day!

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you used pears! One of my favorite desserts is an apple, pear, and cranberry crisp that I try and make in the fall. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pie looks yummy! Love the idea of pears. Hope Spring break is a good one! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pie on Pi Day. Perfect. Wish I would have been around to try this one with you all! Enjoy your Spring Break. Mine is just finishing up today :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh pear. That sounds delicious!! I'm glad it was a big hit on Pi day :o) How appropriate!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a fun party and using the pears you had was a great idea. I agree, sometimes pre-made pie crusts make sense. I hope you are having a terrific spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really good! I bet the caramel and the pears were delicious together.

    Our favorite cookie these days is brown butter caramel pecan. Make sure you get the butter very brown!

    http://lethallydelicious.blogspot.com/2010/02/salted-brown-butter-caramel-pecan.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pear is a great choice. I bet it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nina, your caramel apple & pear looks wonderful glad it was a hit! Sounds like so much fun at your party, I've never tried poutine or mole either and have always wanted to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Next time you should make your air vents into the shape of a Pi sign ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pie on Pi day is a great idea! The pears and caramel sound so delicious together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds like a fun party- especially with a pear caramel pi! have a great spring break

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your use of pears!! I bet it was delicious. Enjoy your spring break!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. between the pie and poutine, that sounds like a fun event

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
<3 Nina

Related Posts with Thumbnails