Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sugar Cookies [sms]

Photobucket
This week's Sweet Melissa Sundays pick, Sugar Cookies, was chosen by ME! This is my first time hosting anything really so I'm super excited!

I had originally wanted to do the wonderful red velvet cake, but that was taken already, but I thought this cookie/pie crust would be very versatile and fun for everyone. The sugar cookie itself is not very tasty, but I think that with all the decorations on top, it's quite fun and exciting.

I had first made these into cookies for my friend's New Year's Party. I had made them into a beautiful snowflake shape and then decorated them with royal icing. [I decided to try some effects out!]
PhotobucketPhotobucket


Then, I was going to make these again but in pie form. I had run out of time before the publishing date with all the midterms, internship/job finding, and me being sick. It's just been a busy time for me. I think that the school year was a pretty bad time for me to host, but I was fun regardless!

Sugar Cookies/Sweet Pie Crust
from Sweet Melissa's Baking Book [pg. 142-143]
14 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 Cup sugar
Freshly grated zest of 1/2 lemon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour

To make the dough:
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar, zest and salt until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and mix to combine.
3. Add the flour and mix to combine. Be sure to scrape down the bowl.
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Pat it together into one piece. Divide the dough into two equal parts, flatten into 5-in round disks, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Put what you will use today in the fridge, and the rest (if there is any) goes into the freezer for another time. Chill for at least 45 minutes before rolling.

To roll the dough:
1. When the dough is chilled through, remove it from the refrigerator and let it rest at room temperature for 10 minutes, until it is malleable. Lightly flour a work surface. Begin with one dough disk, lightly flour the top, and, using a rolling pin, press gently on the dough from the middle upward, and then middle downward. Turn the dough disk a quarter turn and repeat the light pressing process. Add more flour if needed to prevent sticking.
2. The dough should be a round, flatter version of the original disk. Now either you can use it to make cookies or the pie crust.


Make sure to check out the rest of the SMS bakers on the blogroll.
Photobucket

ps. since I promised those photoshoot pictures for a long time, here they are! First individual ones, then a couple between my co-family head and I, then the family ones!





19 comments:

  1. Thanks for such a fun pick this week Nina! Your cookies are adorable.

    Beautiful photos too :)

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting this week! My daughter and I are looking forward to baking these cookies later today. Your cookies are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the great choice and for hosting SMS this week. It sounds like a very busy time for you with school and all. Thank you for sticking with us through the crazy times of life!!
    I loved these cookies and enjoyed eating them. Yours look so good and I love all the bright colored sprinkles.
    Thanks again Nina!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nina,

    I'm Carmen. I just joined SMS. Look forward to seeing your posts on SMS. The photos are fantastic. Like the different poses on many of them...you're adorable! Good luck with school...I remember those days. Fun but busy. Nice photos of your cookies too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute pictures! I've been reading through your blog and it's really great=) Good job with the sugar cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, thanks for hosting this week! You picked a fun one - I was afraid to roll them out, but it went well! And decorating was super fun! :)

    Your photos came out beautiful! So all look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for hosting this week! Your cookies look great.

    Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you about the school thing. Sometimes the pressure of blogging + baking + schooling can be tough!

    Your cookies look really cute. Thanks for choosing this recipe; I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for hosting this week Nina! I played with the recipe just a bit to add flavor and thought these were really good! Plus, they gave me a chance to practice with royal icing :) Your cookies are very festive!

    Great pictures - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cookies are beautiful Nina. Sorry I didn't bake with you this week. Hubby isn't a sugar cookie fan and I am trying to keep it to 2 recipes a month.

    Great photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pick. Your cookies look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cookies look great! Sorry I couldn't join you in baking. Your pics are cute as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for hosting this weekend. Great looking cookies. As you know mine didnt even make it to the cutting board. =(

    The photos are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for hosting this week!! I have fun trying out a new sugar cookie recipe. I just love your snowflakes, they are so fun!! And GREAT photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute, Nina. Looks like you guys had fun doing the photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry I didn't bake with you this week. Sugar cookies and I are not the best of friends. I do like your snowflake cookie a lot. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Nina, thanks for hosting this week. Your cookies look beautiful, I love the decorations. I made the cookies today, but didn't get around to posting. I actually saved some dough to make a tart with for Tuesdays With Dorie, so I'll let you know how it turns out in tart form.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nina, you are amazing and I have no idea how you are doing it all! Your cookies look wonderful, you are doing med-terms, finding a job, don't feel good and you are now looking to your future after college. I think this COULD be one of your busiest times in your life, period. You are always so supportive of everyone that participates in the SMS group and I am VERY proud of you! Thank you Nina!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nina, I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to make these- but they look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
<3 Nina

Related Posts with Thumbnails